Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fences

Fence (from Merriam-Webster)
Pronunciation: \ˈfen(t)s\

Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English fens, short for defens defense
Date: 14th century

1 archaic : a means of protection : defense


2 a : a barrier intended to prevent escape or intrusion or to mark a boundary; especially : such a barrier made of posts and wire or boards b : an immaterial barrier or boundary line

 
I tend to like the second definition a bit better than the first.  It not only mentions the root of "fence," which is "defense;" it also addresses the second, equally important, purpose: to prevent escape.
 
All my life, I've been building fences.  We all have.  I try to "mend" them when I've wronged the person on the other side, if that person means anything to me. 
 
Sometimes, there are so many fences in place, the lines become blurry.  Had I set up this particular fence to keep someone in, or to keep someone out?  What was the purpose?  After a while, it becomes difficult to remember. 
 
What if a fence I put in place for one purpose begins to keep other people out, people I hadn't intended to be affected by the new construction?  Or if a fence intended to keep someone in unintentionally opens a gap for someone or something else special to escape undetected?
 
Fences are a messy business, and I think it's time for some restructuring.  It won't be quick, and it won't be easy.  I'll go one board at a time, taking great care in the new layout.  I'm thinking the trick will be to install lots and lots of gates.

1 comment: