Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Anything

Sometimes I wish with all my heart that The Princess could talk.  Hell, even that she could indicate "yes" or "no."  I don't need the verbalization...just some kind of sign.  Hug for yes, whack upside the head for no...you know, something like that?

I get all wishy-washy about her progress.  Some days I can see it as plain as the nose on her face.  Others, it's not so apparent.

Plain: she will now step up on the stool, turn around, pull down her shorts and Pull-Up with minimal assistance, sit down, tinkle, and wait for Momma to wipe her bottom.  When that's done, she stands up and pulls up her Pull-Up and shorts - again with minimal assistance - before turning around to flush.  Most of these steps are forgotten at one time or another, but she's getting to the point where she can get back on track with a little verbal nudge from me.  That's right, I said verbal.  As in, I can tell her what to do next, and for the most part, she does it on her own.

Not so much: the seemingly random overloads.  She can be sitting in my lap, her stroller, wagon, car seat, happily playing or snuggling, when all of a sudden, everything is just too much for her.  She melts down, siren-cry in full force, hands over the ears, beet-red face with the stuck-out bottom lip in mid-scream.  The alligator tears come out of left field.  Nothing - I repeat: nothing - I do seems to do a damn bit of good.

Everyone tells me to be careful what I wish for, that once The Princess starts talking, it's all over.  I can see their point, but - and maybe I'm being selfish here - I honestly don't think it holds a candle to the possibility of actually being able to communicate with my kid.  All I want is for her to be able to tell me what hurts, what she can't handle, what she wants, what she needs.

Verbal, signing, vocalization assistance device, it doesn't matter.  Hell, I'll learn Swahili if that's the only way she can get things across to me.  My heart breaks just a little bit every time I realize there's nothing I can do to help her.  And I'd give anything to be able to change that.  Anything.

7 comments:

  1. Hugs. I hear you, loud and clear.

    I joke about how my younger girl won't talk and my older one won't stop... but the "won't stop" is so far preferable, there's just no comparison.

    The only careful-what-you-wish-for that I see is... be careful about wishing too hard for a whack upside the head. Because we've been getting some of that, and it's not exactly a step up. :-/

    Thinking good thoughts for you and your Princess. Progress will come. It will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!.... Baby steps. They're happening, but sometimes you're to close to see.

    She wants to communicate as badly as you want her to and she'll work it out in her own way and her own time. We take so many things for granted when our kids are developing. God has given you the opportunity to really see and appreciate every little milestone.

    Have you considered writing things from her point of view? Might be life-changing!

    Praying every minute of every day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! ...TOO close to see.
    Apparently the world is rubbing off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devin at 4 1/2 years old can finally say Yes and No. I thought he never would.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoyMama: I see what you're saying about the whack upside the head comment, and hereby amend my alternate "no" to be a frown rather than bodily harm. Hopefully your little one gets past that soon! Can't be fun for anyone involved.

    Jenn: Hooray for Devin! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the experience with my two boys, I no longer say the "be-careful-what-you-wish-for-they'll-never-stop-once-they-start" line, because I would do anything for my little one to start talking and never stop. Hang in there.
    Alysia
    http://trydefyinggravity.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete